This is my new favorite summer and late summer salad!
I made a few changes to the original recipe (substituting orange marmalade for mangy chutney, apple cider vinegar for rice wine vinegar, and salad greens for watercress). I also added diced avocados because I love avocados. I think your family will enjoy this. Mine did! (Even the kids.)
Adapted from: Curried Quinoa Salad with Nectarines and Sugar Snap Peas from July/August edition of Vegetarian Times.
8 oz. fresh sugar snap peas or snow peas
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 Tbs. curry powder
2 and 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. orange marmalade
1 and 1/2 T. olive oil
2 small nectarines or peaches cut into wedges
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups greens
2 small or 1 large avocado, diced
1. Cook sugar snap peas in sauce pan of boiling salted water 1/2 to 2 minutes or until crisp tender. Transfer to paper-towel lined plate with slotted spoon to drain.
2. Stir quinoa and 1 T. curry powder into the same pot of boiling water. Cook 14 minutes, or until quinoa is tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile whisk vinegar, marmalade, and 1 T. of curry powder and olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Toss together snap peas, nectarines, onion, and avocado into a large bowl. Add greens.
5. Drain quinoa, and rinse under cold water to cook; drain again. Add quinoa and dressing to salad and toss to coat.